Door, Window & General Security
In the corresponding pages, we hope to give you an insight into the range of products which we at Bradleys can offer.
To see the topics shown on door and window security, click on the button on the main menu to find the range you require.
Please remember that if you require something in the security field and you can't find it here, we are only a phone call or e-mail away.
Below we offer some hints and tips for good security.
- Choose door locks that comply with the latest BS3621 standard - these provide the best security. These should be fitted to all external timber doors.
- Fit locks to the top and bottom of French windows and patio doors
- Fit window locks to ground floor and upstairs windows which can be reached without the means of a ladder
- It may sound obvious, but always close and lock your doors and windows when you leave the house - even if you're only popping out for a few minutes. You'd be surprised how many times we hear of people who have nipped out to the shops for 5 minutes and have come back to find their handbag, phone or watch has been stolen within that few minutes.
- Always change the locks when you move into a new home. You don't know who in the previous family might still have a key or how many keys have been given out to the estate agent.
- Never leave a spare key hidden near your property, such as under a door mat - burglars know all those secret hiding places and may even be watching you to see where you keep it. Leave it with a trusted friend or neighbour instead. Alternatively, buy a Keysafe.
- Fit doorviewers and a door chain so you can see who is calling.
- sure you always lock garages, sheds and other outbuildings to prevent anyone using your own tools to break into your house. Chain up ladders & valuable items such as lawnmowers and bikes even if they're locked in a shed.
- Install dusk-to-dawn lights in your garden to deter intruders. Close your curtains and leave a light on in the lounge and bedroom if you are going out for the evening (ideally, consider buying a timer switch) Plant prickly shrubs in your garden or use them as a hedge. Make sure you always close your garden gate, and block private alleyways with tall, locked gates to make it clear where the boundary to your property starts.
- Don't leave curtains and blinds drawn during the day as this will gain the attention of burglars.
- Cancel your milk and paper deliveries if you are going on holiday.
- Ask a neighbour to remove any post or newspapers left showing in your letterbox.
- Cut your lawn before you go on holiday